The Long Beach Public Library Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization that provides raises funds for all 12 Long Beach Public Libraries. The Library Foundation’s mission is to provide support to enhance the Long Beach Public Library and encourage literacy and education for all members of the Long Beach community. http://LBPLfoundation.org/
Schedule: Part-Time—15 hours per week. Mostly flexible hours.
Compensation: $30 per hour
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: 90% Remote; 10% Long Beach
This part-time, contract position reports directly to the Director of Development (DoD) and supports her in all Foundation fundraising activities including grants, database management and reporting, donor correspondence, proofreading, and event management.
The position calls for 15 hours per week, most of which can be done remotely and during flexible hours. One to two hours per week will require reporting to the Foundation office, in downtown Long Beach, during business hours. The position may occasionally require staffing of events and meetings on evenings or weekends. Currently, all meetings and events are virtual until further notice.
- Database and list management using Excel and Raiser’s Edge.
- Ensure database includes accurate donor information.
- Generate, curate and proofread donor mailing lists and giving reports.
- Conduct research on new grant opportunities and application processes.
- Compile and submit all required materials for grant applications and reports.
- Assist with writing grant applications and reports.
- Every week, produce gift acknowledgement letters, ensuring each letter is accurate, grammatically correct, and follows proper protocol/etiquette.
- Scan and digitally file gift related documents for easy reference.
- Mail acknowledgement letters.
- Maintain calendar of development-related deadlines, events, and activities.
- Regularly prepare fund development progress reports for Board of Directors.
- Maintain online event platform, entering in-kind gifts/auction items and ticket holder information into database.
- Occasional Event Support: set up, break down, guest registration.
- Coordinate and attend fund development committee meetings (currently virtual), assisting with agendas and meeting notes.
- Additional responsibilities as directed by the Director of Development.
- Nonprofit administrative and/or fundraising experience required.
- Expert written communications skills required.
- Meticulous attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- A demonstrated ability to produce error-free work when performing a variety of work functions such as writing, proofreading, and data entry is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel required; Google Docs, Microsoft Teams, and/or Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision balanced with a willingness to ask questions to clarify assignments.
- Committed to supporting the Library Foundation’s mission and vision.
- Familiarity with Long Beach community and libraries a plus.
- Criminal background check may be requested. However, we will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Long Beach Public Libraries are temporarily closed to the public until further notice to prevent the spread of COVID-19. During this time, all events will be conducted virtually, and Foundation staff are working remotely. On the occasion that a staff member must visit the Foundation office, all will follow recommended COVID-19 protocols to ensure the safety of our staff. The Foundation will return to regular business once the City of Long Beach determines it is safe to do so.
Please email résumé, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Fund Development Specialist” in the subject line. We will do our best to respond to every application. No calls please.